Monday, July 29, 2013

UPDATED (2013): Top Foundations

Hello Friends,

It’s been a while since I talked about foundations that I’ve tried.  The last blog post I put up was about 2 years, and things have definitely updated since then from formulas, to finishes, etc.  You all know that I’m obsessed with foundation, and that perfect flawless skin is my forte.  So with that said….here’s what I thought about the following (in no particular favorite order):


Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Hydrating Foundation
A very long title….YES!  So automatically you wonder how does this foundation sit on the skin because the first thing you see is “15 hour” and “hydrating”.  Two very powerful active ingredients in a foundation - something long lasting is usually suitable for those who have combination to oily skin, and something hydrating is usually suitable for those who have dry to normal skin.  (keyword: usually lol) So the answer to wondering what skin types this foundation suitable for; I’d say normal to combination skin.  The finish sets to a semi-matte look and feels almost powdery.  It’s not sticky or feels like liquid foundation after it dries on the skin.  The coverage is medium.  The foundation really does keep your skin hydrated and it seriously does last about 15 hours.  I have worn this foundation on the hottest days and it held up pretty well.  Definitely you need a primer – I think with mostly all foundations try to wear a primer.  Unless you have very dry skin you may skip it.  The foundation doesn’t oxidize, the color is pretty spot on I didn’t have a problem matching my skin. 


Smashbox Halo Powder Foundation
Years ago I used to be a powder junkie; I loved loved loved powder foundation.  After learning more of different products and understanding my skin thoroughly I branched out.  Then I thought….well let me try a powder foundation again.  Hmm, I didn’t care for it and I think because of the coverage.  For most powder foundations you really have to build in order to get the coverage you want.  I like a medium coverage.  So I have to build about 2 layers.  And that can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how your skin gravitates to the foundation throughout the day.  I’d say use this foundation if you want to even your skin tone and to keep your shine down to a minimum.  The coverage is light to medium, and the finish is natural.



MAC Studiofix Powder Foundation
So as I mentioned above how I was a powder foundation fanatic, well I thought let me give the Studiofix foundation a try again.  Because back when the MAC brand first came out, this was my holy grail….until I realized it was clogging my pores and making me break out.  But since the buzz spread about MAC changing their formulations I figured lets try this again. J  Anddd….not suitable for me.  The coverage is medium to heavy.  Which is okay because you don’t need to build so much and no need to pack on loads of layers.  But one thing I didn’t like is that it sorta oxidized.  So I didn’t feel like buying to 2 foundations and mix to get my shade, especially when I wanted something quick and compact.  So I use this foundation as a touch up when on the go.  And I usually just touch up my t-zone very lightly; I also dust a small swipe of this powder under my eyes.   Suitable for normal to combination/oily skin tones, and last pretty good throughout the day. 



Cover Girl Outlast 3 in 1
You all know I have ranted that when purchasing makeup and mixing high’s and low’s, definitely pick a high end foundation.  Just because the ingridents are “you get what you pay for”, it’s your skin so you don’t want nasty junk sitting on your skin creating build up and nastiness.  And why not splurge on something luxury so your base is flawless and perfect.  However, we all know that drugstore foundations have definitely turned for the best and now are rivaling with some top high end products out there.  So with that said, friends of mine in the industry ranted that they’ve used this foundation personally and love it.  Andd sooo I had to pick up myself a bottle.  It’s really not bad for a drug store foundation.  I definitely would use this when in a pinch. This foundation is okay for everyday wear, but not for a special event. I think this rivals with my other drugstore foundation fav that I like - Neutrogena Healthy Skin (which I talked about 2 years ago).  The color range is a bit drastic, while they have lots of shades available for light to medium tones, but from the medium tones to the warmer tones they don’t offer much.  At least in the stores in my area, although I checked online and saw they have a line just for warmer tones – but I have yet to see that in any drugstore (so not too sure about that, sorry!).  Anyhoo, the color I chose for me was spot on which was a HUGE surprise, because hellooo it’s a drugstore foundation therefore no testers are open so I went on a hunch and found the right color.  This foundation does not oxidize….yes!  It’s suitable for normal skin tones.  The coverage is light to medium but you can build it without looking cakey.  And it last about a good work day.  Though it’s a “3 in 1” that contains the primer and concealer as well; I’d say still put on those products.  Definitely wear a concealer, and as for the primer it’s sorta hit or miss.  Now to have the foundation last almost all day definitely put on a primer, but if you’re running to do errands and just want some coverage, it’s okay to wear as is – I’ve done it myself and I didn’t get that oily. 



YSL Touché Éclat Foundation
Loved this product….the finish is just AMAZING!  However it’s not suitable for my skin type. L Finally something for the dry to normal skin tones….yayy! J  As I mentioned the finish is amazing, you look so flawless like airbrush flawless with a touch of matte but illuminating at the same time.  The coverage is light to medium but definitely buildable without the foundation feeling heavy on the skin.  However, after a few hours you do become shiny.  That’s why it’s better for the dry to normal skin.  Now my skin has been funny lately where it wants to be dry and then it wants to be oily, so that’s why I picked this up.  But it didn’t gel with my skin after a while.  (Although I think I will be trying this again in the winter to see how it works on my skin in that climate lol)  Even with after touching up the skin mid-day, the skin has gotten so illuminating (for a combo-oily skin type) it’s unbearable to have the finish go back to semi matte just because your skin has adjust to the foundation.



Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Even Finish Foundation
This foundation is very similar to the Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Hydrating Foundation (it even has a long title haha lol).  The difference I notice is the undertones are a little more yellow based.  But the finish is the same, coverage is the same, and it’s long lasting as well.



Clinique Stay-Matte Foundation
This has been my go to foundation for the past few weeks and I love it.  Definitely is a MATTE foundation!  And it lasts for a very long time throughout the day.  However, I noticed it oxidizes just a tad.  So definitely go a shade lighter if you can and are comfortable with that.  When applying the foundation it sets pretty fast, so you’ll have to blend pretty quick.  And it sets to a powdery finish.  The coverage is heavy light to medium.  You can for sure build this to a heavy coverage if necessary.  What I love is that you can still see your skin come through the foundation, but it stays matte flawless and long lasting for almost the entire day. I find myself rarely having to powder my t-zone or touch up. 



I hope this helps you all in finding a good foundation suitable for your skin.  I know there are tons of systems to use in finding a foundation, for example; Sephora came out with a tool to use in-store called Sephora Pantone Color IQ – which basically helps you find any foundation out there (usually all brands Sephora carries) that’s suitable for your skin.  But often times, we all like to hear from someone’s personal review because we can relate to one another’s skin types or experiences.  So I really hope this helps you all, definitely comment or inbox me if you have any questions.  There are tons more foundations I will continue to try, so look out for my next update! J

xo,

Tiffany 

No comments:

Post a Comment